Sunday, June 22, 2014

Vicente's 5th Birthday Party

Hello!


  My son's 5th birthday party was based on his love for Super Mario Bros and Sonic the hedgehog. He first started to love these characters about a year ago when he saw the animated series. He didn't even know they were videogame characters until last month when his dad taught him how to play. Well once he played Super Smash Brothers he started to love a whole bunch of videogame characters. This threw a wrench in my theme since now my son wanted 20 different characters and I had only three weeks to buy and make everything. We compromised with the original plan along with the addition of a few other characters thrown in.  

  So I got started with the crafts. As usual, I went straight to Pintrest, got my ideas and got started. Here are some photos of what I did and how it all turned out. Enjoy!


I bought these wood flowers at the craft store. They were perfect for making my Fire and Ice Flower. I used a pencil to draw the face.

 

I bought these ceramic mushrooms at the craft store. They were perfect for making my super and 1-up mushroom. I used a pencil to draw the eyes and spots.

 

Here is a photo of the finished project. My painted Super Mario Bros flowers and mushrooms. Hand drawing them and painting them wasn't the challenge, keeping my son from playing with them was the challenge. 

 




Here is my Kirby Piñata and here is how I made him: I bought a giant balloon, blew it up, and hung it from my celling fan. I then mixed flour and water together to make a paste, cut a bunch of news paper into strips, and added my first layer of "Mache" to the balloon. I made sure to add a string to the bottom of the balloon and to reinforce it so it could hold the weight of candy. I let this dry for 24hrs and added my second layer. I repeated this step for a third time and then I popped the balloon. I now turned the piñata over so the hole where I popped the balloon was now at the bottom and that is where I would add the candy later. Next I decorated it using crepe paper and what I printed from the internet. Besides being time consuming, and messy, it was a pretty simple project.
 


 
I bought stickers and lollipops... not very crafty I know but I figure my five year old would appreciate some candy more then a party full of my crafts.
 


Here is a look at what I put in the party favor boxes.  
 
Here are the party favor boxes. 
 
Here is my lollipop holder. This was one of my the most challenging projects! The lollipops would not stand up straight... super frustrating.
 




I made these cupcake toppers using lollipop sticks, printouts, and glue (they are double sided). I also made my son a little personal cake. The cake had four layers, red, green, yellow, and blue.
 


 
 






  Here are my Styrofoam characters. I bought Styrofoam balls and foam paper from the craft store. used scissors, paint, and a hot glue gun and ta-da... my son was in heaven!
 
 Until next time!
 
Magan
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Such amazingly creative ideas! I am throwing a similar party for my sister and will definitely be borrowing a couple of these.

    What craft store did you get the wooden flowers from? I've already checked two and found only the heads of the flowers - not the nice stem, leaves and platform that came with yours.

    Thanks so much for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of paint on the babomb? We tried black spray paint and it ran off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete