Sunday, May 4, 2014

Sophia's 2nd Birthday Party

Hello!

 Last weekend was my daughter's 2nd birthday party. I had been planning this party for over four months. Now I know that sounds crazy but she's my youngest, my only daughter, and (I am almost positive) my last child so this helped to justify the excessive planning... a bit.
 
  So the theme was "Fairies". I picked this theme for the simple reason of dressing my daughter up as a fairy. I had no idea I would get so many strange looks from my family and friends but I assume most people expect character themes for kids parties. Anyway after the date and theme were set I started the decoration planning. I was determined to make as many of the decorations as possible. I spent hours on Pintrest getting ideas and then hours on Youtube learning how to make everything.

  The next step was to start making! Since this is my favorite part,  and also the hardest part because I have two kids under the age of four,  I dedicated two months to this process.  I took a trip to the local craft  stores and dollar stores any chance I could. I also cleaned out a corner of my kitchen as a designated "craft corner". When my son was in school or my daughter was asleep I would paint, crochet, cut, glue, assemble, etc. Unfortunately my "craft corner" spilled into the rest of the kitchen by the end and I had tulle and tissue pom poms hanging from the celling fan.

  By April I was handling all loose ends and trying to relax before the big day because I always get super nervous. All those kids running around hyped up on cupcakes and juice and hoping the little ones don't have a melt down (especially the birthday girl) is stressful! Thank goodness my husband is the opposite of me and doesn't get nervous about anything so he keeps me calm... or calmer I should say.

  Then the day arrives and it was perfect! All that planning paid off and all of my hard work paid off too! I am going to take next year off though and take her to Disneyland.




Tulle fairy wands for my daughters 2nd Birthday Party. After I master the art of "tulle pom pom making" all I did was decide on the size and break out the hot glue gun.



Homemade Play-Doh for my daughters 2nd Birthday. I made it completely edible since she still puts everything in her mouth.



Sign for my daughters 2nd Birthday. I made it out of six pieces of stock paper tapped together. I added "happy 2nd birthday" using sticker letters and "Sophia" using painted wooded letters. The last touch was foam fairy stickers.



Tree and Birdhouse centerpiece for my daughters 2nd Birthday Party. I bought a white wire tree and wrapped it in twine. I painted a little birdhouse and filled a mason jar with moss to hold the tree. I made a small crochet flower and crochet pom pom out of yarn to give it a little something extra.



Dress I made for my daughters 2nd Birthday party. I crocheted the top using granny squares and added straps. I attached one piece of tulle at a time to make the tutu skirt and added a crochet belt with a flower to hide where the tulle and yarn meet (it wasn't very attractive but didn't look horrible without a belt).



Tulle pom pom cupcake toppers for my daughters 2nd Birthday Party. I used the same process I used to make the Tulle fairy wands but on a smaller scale.



Felt Flower cupcake Toppers for my daughters 2nd Birthday Party. I have to admit I bought the felt flowers and added the sticks... I haven't mastered felt yet. I did paint those mushrooms in the back ground though!



Play-Doh Favors for my daughters 2nd Birthday Party. I made the play-doh in my kitchen. I bought the little 2" containers at the dollar store (10 for a dollar) and purchased the personalized stickers on Etsy.



Gift and Favor table at my daughters 2nd Birthday Party.



Dessert Table at my daughters 2nd Birthday Party.

Until next time!

Magan

No comments:

Post a Comment