Sunday, May 18, 2014

Teacher Appreciation Gift

Hello!

  My son's last day of preschool is tomorrow. My emotions about this have been all over the place but mostly I am excited because he gets to give his teacher the gift we made her. I really like his teacher and I am sure she is going to get a lot of flowers and fancy lotions from the other parents so I wanted to give her something homemade.

  Last week I was on Pinterest and saw all of these ideas for Teacher gifts. I had no idea people really  did this kind of thing (in my defense this is my oldest child's first year of school) but I was excited to give his teacher something since she helped my son so much throughout the year.  Once I decided the gift was going to be homemade I started to look for ideas. I couldn't find anything I liked so I decided to stare at all of my craft supplies and start brainstorming. Well after doing that off and on for two days I finally decided what I was going to do...


 

 
 
...Crochet Flower Pens! I wanted something I could make and his teacher could use. Plus this way I could make a pen for each of the assistant teachers... which were also so great to my son. I already had a ton of yarn so I just picked the three colors I wanted to use and made two crochet flowers, three yarn pom poms, and a crochet leaf for each. I bought a pack of pens for a couple dollars and used my hot glue gun to attach everything. After I made them I knew I had to make something to put them in, this is the part my son helped with.
 



 
 

 

 
 
I purchased a clay pot / saucer at the hardware store and already had white acrylic paint. My son helped me paint the pot and he wrote his name on the back in pencil, which I went over in a black sharpie marker after, and I added the "2014". I then painted the phrase "Thank you for helping me grow" (this was meaningful to me since my son was having speech issues and she did wonders for his development). I knew I needed something to help the pens stand up straight so I cut a circle out of cardboard (large enough to fit about an inch or two from the top) and put five holes in the center. This worked great to keep the pens upright but I didn't want the cardboard to be visible so I added some brown yard to look like dirt. This whole project only took me two hours! I love how it came out and I cant wait to give it to his teacher!
 
 
Until next time!
 
 
Magan 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment